Friday 22 February 2013

75th Birthday Story Quilt

This is a quilt that I made for my step-father's 75th birthday.  I told a story of his life using quilt patterns.  For example the fish tails patterns for the fish tales he told and the Virginia Reel for their love of dance.

I worked day and night on this quilt and from start to finish had it done in just one month, on time for my first trip to Florida, 4800 km from Goose Bay, Labrador by car in the winter, to give it to him in person.  He's gone now, but his story lives on.

The finished quilt pics have yet to be uploaded.  I used my embroidery machine to embroider the meaning of each block in big black letters.

The most challenging block I did was the yellow and blue French star block and I did get it to lay flat!








No comments:

Post a Comment